Friday, October 17, 2008

She is unremarkable

Well, at least her labs came back unremarkable and that is terrific news!! I figured no news was good news, but I decided to call and find out what the real deal was today. Kailyn, on the other hand IS remarkable. She is so brave. Her shots do hurt sometimes (bleed and leave bruises), but she has never said I don't want them or ran and hid from us like I hear other kids her age with Diabetes do. She gets hesitant, but knows it has to be done. That and pricking her fingers. Her little fingers are scarred over in places, but she does not complain. Just knows that is how it goes. She asks intelligent questions about Diabetes, some of which I can't answer. Today she asked what diagnosed mean and why she heard the word all the time? We are working on getting her used to the idea of getting a pump and I think we are going to apply for Katie Beckett (government program for people with disabilities) so that they can cover the Blood glucose monitoring part of the pump and other expenses related to the disease. Medication, deductibles and copays add up quickly. Right now insurance only covers the insulin part of pumps. The blood glucose monitor has an alarm that would go off if she is getting below a certain level among other things, but costs $380 a month to maintain.

Kailyn went to school for the entire day today even though she has a cold. I gave her a dose of motrin and sent her on her merry way. She was the leader for the day so she was really excited about that. She had a stomach ache on the way there, but it was the nervous kind. She is starting to be able to distinguish the difference between being sick or nervous. When I told her her blood results came back normal she asked me "Then what is making me have stomach aches?" I said "stress" She asked "what is stress?" I said "It is when you are scared to do something or get worried about what is going to happen" She then said, "So I get stomach aches like you did last night" She was right, Sam gave me a really hard time last night, Seth got home late and was not here and I ended up with a bad stomach ache after I finally got Sam to sleep. She agreed that it was a good reason to have a stomach ache if your child is having a meltdown because it is hard to deal with. Our talking about her anxiety openly seems to be working so far. The nurse said she has been complaining less and if she does complain she tells her what kind of stomach ache it is. The teacher also gave her a talk and told her not to worry and if she felt nervous to let her know too.

Kailyn had me convinced she was failing Math because she was so worried about it, but when I talked to her teacher she said she was right where she should be and they were not doing drilling. Kailyn is actually having to learn Math, while on the other hand she is above average in reading and already knows everything they are doing. Both Seth and I have physical reactions to anxiety so we are just going to have to help her learn how to cope with it just like our parents did with us with a little twist added on top.(Type 1 Diabetes)

No comments: