Monday, June 21, 2010

VBS was a success!!!!

They loved it and are exhausted. Its called "Expedition on the High Seas". Both want to go back tomorrow, but Sam said for a minute he did not because it, "made him too tired".  I think playing in the pool and getting up earlier than normal made him tired.  Apparently, they do not stop at this camp and move through station after station. Eight kids out of 11 from his preschool class were there and many kids that Kailyn knew were there too. One of the girls in her "crew" is going to be in her class this fall.  Others that are going to be in her class this fall were there too.  They put her and one of the other Type 1 Diabetic children in the same crew. He is a boy that she has never met, but the Mom was there to keep an eye on things. I don't think he goes to Gorham because there is only one other boy in the 2nd going to 3rd grade class that has T1D and this was not him.
The plan was for Kailyn to call me on her cellphone at snack time. She brought her Diabetes bag and all her supplies. If she was low she was to tell the teacher and call me as well.
I made her snack and put the grams for her on a piece of paper.
She called, I walked her through the pump and then
click......She hung up on me.  I did not even have a chance to ask if she was having a good time,
but I guess that was my answer. :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm glad that VBS went well for both kiddos. Kailyn seems to be handling her situation so well and so responsibly. Great job Kailyn! I hate that she has to deal with this, but glad that she is doing so well with it. I see a future of her (and you) being advocates for others with Type 1 childhood diabetes. =)

kristen said...

She IS doing well. I have never heard her say once that she wished she did not have Diabetes. They warned about it and it has not happened. It was a big day for her in that she did an activity w/o anyone at her side. Hopefully, it leads to more. Maybe advocacy in the future, but for now we keep plugging away. Thanks Heather, nice to hear from you.