Sunday, April 29, 2012

Keira Speak

     At this point in Keira's development she should be able to sustain a short conversation with adults and understand simple one step directions.(and do them) Keira is far from that.

     I wouldn't call Keira Non-Verbal, but she has no reciprocal communication. Meaning, she says things, but on her terms and once in a blue moon. They are usually one word, but once in a while we get a phrase. She is almost never looking at us when she talks. Her way to get us to help with something is to throw it at us or go uh, uh, uh. She can do the help and more signs with physical prompting, but still has to be reminded. I am hearing a ton of Echolalia lately. My favorite the other day:
"Good Girl"- after I put her favorite puzzle program on the Ipad. I have not heard it since, but it put a smile on my face. I guess we need to change our verbal reinforcement to "Good Job".
Other things she says when she feels like it on a semi consistent basis:

"Hi"
"Ball"
"All done or all D"
"Ni Ni"- for night night
"Na Na" for No No
"Didi"-for Bippi
"Go Go Go"- (Thanks to Dr. Suess ;) )
"Uh oh"- whether done by mistake or on purpose lol
Makes Car noises
"Yay" and claps her hands.
Counts" onn, ewe, eee, or, ive, ix
Sings twinkle twinkle little star, but won't do it with you.

She has said other words, but they have gotten lost somewhere in that little brain of hers. I blame the Epilepsy monster. She has said:

"Neigh" for a horse
"Dada"
"Up"
"Out"
"Itsy Spider"
"Where going"
"doggy"
"I did it"
"Nanie"
"Grandpa"
"bye bye"
"apple"
Among many other one time words or phrases that I can't remember.

I do remember Sam doing this and it driving me crazy. I also remember him talking a lot more at this point. BUT, on the other hand, Keira plays appropriately much more than he did.

She is not into reciprocal communication or play. Everything is on her terms. Very shortly they are going to "sabotage her environment" (as they say) to try and MAKE her participate in communication. This may lead to some protesting, but is the best way to get her to pay attention to something other than what she is interested in and communicate with others. It is why ABA works. It makes children on the spectrum participate in things that they otherwise would not.  It should be interesting to hopefully see some progress.  I already see progress in her receptive communication. She understands much more than her testing showed.




1 comment:

Jeff said...

Hi Kristen,

I was wondering if you accepted any guest posting on your site. I couldn’t manage to find your email on the site. If you could get a hold of me at jeff@drugwatch.com, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
-Jeff