Friday, July 23, 2010

Interesting Statistics

1 in 400-600 kids have Type 1 Diabetes (Kailyn), 1 in 100 kids have Autism (Sam) and 1 in 40,000 have Benign Myoclonic Epilepsy (Keira). I find myself wondering sometimes if there are any other people in the world like us. Not in a sad, this is not fair, woe is me kind of way. It is more like "Wow, what are the chances?"  There are groups on the Internet for Diabetes and Autism, but barely any Epilepsy ones let alone one for children with Keira's condition. If anyone knows how to calculate the statistics please feel free to do so and let me know the results.  I'm thinking it is in the millions. lol

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Multiply them together: 400 x 100 x 40,000 = 1,600,000,000, so 1 in 1.6 billion. There are about 6.5 billion people on the earth, and if we were to assume everyone is in a family of 4, then there are 1.6 billion families. So you're probably the only one! Doesn't that make you feel special?

kristen said...

Absolutely! Thank you for doing the Math and making me feel oh so special :)