Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Things I never thought I would do as a parent.

1. Do an emergency G-tube replacement when my 2 year old (who has Epilepsy/Autism) decides it would be fun to pull it out. She did this tonight. I managed to shove replace the new tube back into her stomach averting an ER visit and/or new surgery. Some parents apparently can't stomach this. I can stomach doing it myself way more than going into the ER for yet another visit.

2. Hear my husband say: "Well, I guess it's good that she is exploring more things". Trying to look on the bright side of the incident. He was not the one that had to frantically try and put it in. He did help hold her down and asked what we were going to do about him going to work if I had to bring her into the ER.

3. Watch my almost 10 year old excitedly get dressed at the prospect of going to the ER. She kept saying to me that I could not get the tube in. She was bummed when I managed to replace the tube because she was ready to go. I was not going to let her come anyway.

4. Have to get my child's blood drawn to check medication levels. I get to go do this tomorrow. Her little hand has started to shake. A side effect of the seizure medication. She has had more blood drawn than any 2 year old that I personally know.

5. Have grown men run around my house 2.5 hours a day, 4 days a week, to play and teach her using ABA therapy. I appreciate it and know it works, but never thought that my parenting her would not be enough to help her learn to talk.

6. Replacing a pulled out G-tube. She pulled the balloon through her stomach (ack!!)
This is not Keira, but it looks exactly like hers.
I had to push the stem through the hole into her stomach. Then, using one of the external support openings, I put 5ml of water into it to blow up the balloon. Hopefully, this next one will stay put. This was actually the second time I have done this. The first one was because it had been in for a while and it was time for it to be changed.

7. Wonder why I did not become a MD or a Nurse. I actually never ever had any thoughts of doing this. It grossed me out thinking about it. But now, I have no aversion to needles, blood, or gastric juices etc... I was adamant that I was going to be a teacher and have my degree in that. But man, I have done more than my fair share of nursing/researching and diagnosing since becoming a parent.

8. Clean up bunny poop and chase after a dog. I am not an animal lover, but the rest of my family is so I lose by default. ;)

1 comment:

child anxiety treatment said...

I love your post. I have enjoyed reading it. You are such a Wonder Mom.


Raquel