Monday, January 30, 2012

Artificial Pancreas Excitement!

For the first time ever this week, in a rare moment, Kailyn voiced how she hated Type 1 Diabetes and how she wanted it all to be gone. She did not feel well and it was one of many complaints, but she has never said she hated Type 1 Diabetes so blatantly.  I told her my usual, "That is just how things are and you have to deal with it".(We were told to never say I'm sorry or to coddle her about it) She knows that, but still wishes it would go away. I was online and I noticed someone with a child that has Type 1 Diabetes doing a trial in Boston for the Artificial Pancreas. Kailyn and I have talked about it, but more like something that would be a dream. The FDA is dragging their feet letting these trials happen and getting funding is getting harder and harder. Well, I showed her the pictures of what was going on and she got VERY excited. She wants to participate in the trials so badly, but is too young. Even just eating for a few days without pricking her fingers sounds like heaven. So, I took a video of her talking about the prospect of this happening. It made me realize how much Type 1 Diabetes consumes every day, every hour, every minute of her life and how much it really alters how her daily life is.




Please excuse my video taking and editing skills. lol

No comments: