Wednesday, February 1, 2012

PHEW!!

White rabbit, white rabbit, white rabbit!!! (superstitious good luck stuff) Yesterday was a day for the record books. The day started off rough, rough, rough, and ended rough. But, we made it through. I can happily report that my kids went off to school without a hitch this morning. A new routine has been implemented to make things go more smoothly. Sometimes things need to get shaken up! 
Anyway, today is the first day of Keira's official 10 hours a week of being in the 0-3 ABA program. She will have a teacher with her 4 days a week in our home. Mon-Thurs. During what was formerly known as her nap time.(This should be interesting) I am letting her have a little free time right now because she is going to get tired out with the constant one on one teaching. ABA is the only scientifically proven way that effectively teaches kids with Autism, but I think it can be used with kids that have other developmental delays as well. Her previous therapists do not believe in it and we did not click because of this. I know it works because Sam has already benefited from it. He was diagnosed with moderate Autism at 3 and is now in a regular classroom without supports or Special Education. He is on the "Tier" program, but I predict that is where he will stay. He is at grade level in all subjects now.
This is my hope for Keira in five years. I opened my blog back up to hopefully document her progress from my prospective. She has different challenges than Sam (Epilepsy and G-tube feeding), but hopefully we can find a way to tackle those issues in the future. Early intervention is the key and I plan to provide as much of it as I can for her. Hopefully, I will get to hear her say momma to me sometime soon!

ps: They canceled. Her teacher has a stomach virus.

No comments: