Thursday, February 2, 2012

ABA therapy and Gigantic+Enormous= Ginormous

     Another day for the books and it is not over yet.  It started out with a certain 7 year old climbing into our bed moaning at 4am. I touched his forehead to see if he was hot. Very warm. I had stayed up until 1am finishing up our taxes, so I fell back to sleep knowing he would not be going to school today.  I was wondering about a sinus infection for a few days and figured that it had finally reared its ugly head.  I managed to get a shower in before getting the 2 year old out of the bed and Sam was STILL sleeping and groaning. Totally not normal for him. Even when he is sick, he usually still functions. It has to be something big to get him down. (Later on that am he vomited.) Kailyn had uncharacteristically gone downstairs, tested and asked me to get her some clothing. She usually needs to be prodded out of bed. The night before she had me convinced she was going to be staying home from school today. (Blood Sugars went over 600 and did not register on her testing kit, but we got that under control overnight. A big whole different story) But no, she woke up normal and happy to go. (Thank you God)
     Then I came to the realization that Keira was going to have her first official ABA session with her teachers today. It was in jeopardy of being canceled once again. This was the history: They canceled, we canceled, they canceled and now, WE, were going to have to cancel again. Was this ABA therapy EVER going to start?  So, I came up with a plan. It included Grammie helping and basically reorganizing her whole day. I called the ABA school and asked if it was OK if we did the therapy at Keira's grandparents house. She is there at least one time a week, if not more, and there are plenty of toys for them to use. Grammie rearranged everything (Thank you Grammie!) and came to sit with Sam for 2 1/2 hours.
Miserable Sam

Urchin Keira


     I disinfected a special spot for Grammie. Keira and I went to get to know her new teachers at 12pm after I had bleached and disinfected parts of the house at a feverish pace. I cleaned Sam up, got Keira ready by bolusing her Pedisure and her seizure medicine via G-Tube and got her dressed. I did this while she happily kept tipping over the dinning table chairs and attempted to climb up on every surface imaginable. She had a blast with her new teacher friends and they seemed really nice. They played with her so she could get to know them and get a baseline of where her development is. It will be like this for a while and then "Boom" ABA programs will be produced and the hope of seeing new skills develop will begin.
Brendan and Keira Playing

     While Keira was playing with her new teachers, I was texting the school nurse (Kailyn went down to her twice complaining about her cold trying to get out of school, but no fever), talking with the doctors office and a friend whose child was sick as well. All while answering questions and giving a little background on Keira. I feel like I should write up a history and hand it to them when they walk through the door. Providers never seem to read the paper work. Anyhow, the Dr. decided Sam needed to come in. I was convinced he had a stomach bug like his friend in his class, but they were concerned about the flu and the sinus thing. SO, after her therapy was done at 2:15, we went home, I put Keira down for a nap, Grammie left for 45 minutes and I worked on getting a very sick little boy into the car for a 3:15pm appointment. Grammie picked Kailyn up at school to bring her back and stay with her and Keira. I had Sam in the car and ready to go. We were a little late, but only by 10 minutes.  The doctor decided he had a sinus infection and may have a stomach bug on top of it. LUCKY US!! If he does indeed have a stomach bug, the roller coaster ride is about to begin! I really don't mind if we get one. It's part of life.  I just don't want Kailyn to get it. Having the stomach flu is on the top ten worst nightmares of parents of Type 1 Diabetics. It means sleepless nights and potential hospital stays.
     On that note, Sam seemed to perk up in the afternoon, but by bed time his fever was up to 101 again. He went to bed and had full on walking night terrors about an hour after he fell asleep. He said he was GINORMOUS (I find this word funny) and was screaming that he was bigger than all of us and his sickness was going to grow. Pretty deep. He came in and out of the terrors. All involving spies and him being a giant. This was all kind of funny in a weird sort of way. I have seen this before so I was not concerned. I finally thought he was in a good sleep and snuck downstairs only to have him follow me back down. His fever is down, but he still feels miserable and is sitting next to me watching Cake Boss. My kids LOVE that show.
    So, this is what I do all day. Sit on the couch and eat Bon Bons. What do other Stay At Home Mom's do with all their time? They must have a ginormous amount of free time like me.;)  FYI Ginormous is an official word in the dictionary ;)  The day is not over nor is this story, so, TBC....

No comments: