Wednesday, November 12, 2008

We are still here

Things are really starting to calm down and I am trying to get us into some type of a groove or routine. My house needs an overhaul, but I have been concentrating on just the kids. When I have not been attending to their needs I have been in bed. When I thought I was getting better I actually got worse and ended up with an ear infection and a viral infection that could not be helped by the anti-biotics. I was getting to the point that I thought I would never feel well again, but then it happened. Yesterday, I woke up without a throat that hurt so bad that I wanted to rip it out of my neck. So far, no one else in the house has gotten this and hopefully it stays that way. It had me out of commission for two weeks. I did not leave my bed at all last weekend. I have finally been able to get out and do my walking/running the past two days.

Kailyn still goes to bed later and has a hard time getting up in the morning, but once she gets to school she seems genuinely happy to be there. She made it through the ENTIRE week last week. The first time since school started in August. Her nerves have really started to calm down. She loves the fact that I bring her all the way into the school and help her unpack her huge bag and get her set up at her desk. We are just going to forget that fitness fun exists until she starts showing an interest that she wants to go. She is also not going to take the bus. Since we are finally getting into a good groove we want to keep it that way and avoid bringing the anxiety level back up again in any way. I am now officially volunteering once a week Thanks to Grammie. The only time they had left was when Sam was not in school. Kailyn wishes I could spend the whole day, but I keep reminding her that that was a very special day that will never happen again ;)

Kailyn's latest obsession is American Girl dolls. She is on the website picking out clothing and playing games every day. She wants the doll Kit for Christmas. I told her that after Christmas we could go to the store in Boston (which is actually in Natick) if she gets the doll. I also told her she could use any money she has to buy stuff for the doll. I told her we would go to Boston even if she did not get the doll and would go to the Aquarium. She is excited beyond belief. Aunt Alice said she would come too so that makes her even more excited. Neither of the kids have been to Boston. Don't be surprised if she asks some of you for money for Christmas. LOL We will eat lunch at the American girl Bistro and then go to the Aquarium for the afternoon. I need to make reservations soon for the Bistro. I am sure every little girl in New England is going to want to go to the store after Christmas. It is going to be a long month and a half.

Sam is still absolutely thrilled about his "new school". He wants to go everyday. He actually begs and gets mad at me when I tell him that he is going to the "old school" that day. However, once I bring him into the old school (developmental one)and play with him for a bit he is very happy to be there and happily gives me hugs and kisses goodbye. I think one of the reasons he likes the regular preschool better is because he only goes for 2 hours and then has the rest of the day with me to himself. Sam hit a major milestone today and answered a why question unprompted. I asked him, "Why does Kailyn have to get out of bed? and he said, "She needs to go to cool (school)":) Now we just need to get him to ASK the Why questions. Even though he does not ask why questions I notice improvements in his vocab and speech every day. He also has decided he likes to write his name a lot. He wrote it on his pillow, his comforter and his cork board. We had to explain to him that we only write our names on paper. It reminded me of when Kailyn wrote her name on the back of her Jacket using my lipstick.

Seth decided to take a leave of absence from the MSW program at UNE. It was absolutely WAY to much and his work was not doing what they agreed to do. I am not exactly sure how he is going to get this internship done now, but I will let him worry about that. We are both dealing with getting used to having a child with diabetes in different ways. Right now I go between pissed off, sad and acceptance. Seth seems to just go with the flow. (Lets me worry about it, typical man ;)) No actually, he is a fabulous husband and one of the reasons he stopped doing the UNE program was because he felt that he needed to put more time into our family. The healing and getting used to our new lifestyle process. I have asked others that have been through the diagnosis and getting used to it process and they all say that it takes about 5-6 months for everything to become second nature. If that is the case then we have 2-3 months to go.

So at this point, we are not where we should be, but we are getting there. However, we are not living our lives in complete and utter chaos and that feels really good.

No comments: