Thursday, August 5, 2010

Today is Kailyn's 2 year Dx Anniversary

Type 1 Diabetes.  Things were already a tad crazy around here back in August of 2008, my health problems and Sam being diagnosed with Autism less than a year before. But, I remember that day like it was yesterday. It was much like this one. Hot and humid, but a little more sunny.  Kailyn just wanted to be held all day before we went to the MD because she felt so crummy. 

Here is the story of her Diagnosis.

http://lifeistwosweet.blogspot.com/2008/08/type-i-diabetes.html

The feelings of hopelessness and despair are not there anymore. I no longer grieve for children that are "normal" because this IS our normal.  And, honestly, (like my mother says) What kid DOES NOT have something these days?  From the outside looking in we look like the perfect family. Would I like to get more sleep instead of checking blood sugars at night or worrying about highs and lows? Yeah. However, we are at a much calmer place in our lives.  Even though we are going through some challenges now with our youngest I consider myself blessed and happy.  I have three beautiful children, a loving husband and a great extended family.

Kailyn is healthy, happy, thriving in school both socially and academically and turning into a quite remarkable little girl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great positive perspective, Kristen! Thank you for sharing your daughter's 2-year diaversary with us in the Diabetes Online Community. Wishes for many many more filled with health and happiness, diabetes or not!

Unknown said...

It's great to read about your experiences and to see how things have progressed for you all with kailyn. it helps me understand and look forward to everything we can and will do with Olivia and her diabetes.

kristen said...

Thank you. I try to stay positive and usually am, but life is not a bowl full of cherries and some days I do have enough of it all. I am lucky to have a wonderful husband that helps me out. You can do whatever you want with Type 1 D, you just have to take extra special care. The older they get and can take on some of the responsibility the easier it gets.