Thursday, August 12, 2010

This is when Type 1 Diabetes sucks

My older kids went up to camp today (China Lake) to hang with the family.  I have to be in constant communication with my Mother In Law about situations regarding Kailyn's Diabetes.(I have no idea how Sam's day went)lol  How many carbs for hash browns they get when stopping on the way up?  The infusion set fell off so how do I treat her? She is now in the 300 or 400's, does not have any testing strips left, ketone strips or her pump on for her background insulin. I told them to just get her home ASAP and have juice on hand just in case she goes low on the over 1 hour ride home. But, Kailyn had to miss out on ice cream cake and had to rush to get home. Not to mention she just can't go off for the day care free because she has Type 1 Diabetes.  I don't mention how sucky this stuff is to Kailyn, but it is times like this that I feel bad for her and feel a twinge of it not being fair that she has to deal with all of this stuff.  I never utter a word of this to her because her Doctor told me to never say your sorry or to show her that I was sad that she had T1D. We are always to let her know that this is how it is and she has to tuff it out.  She, in turn, has never said that she wishes she did not have diabetes, that it sucks or that it was not fair. Just that she wishes there was a cure.  I am SURE she had a good time.  They absolutely LOVE camp. We just have not done much this summer because of Keira's Epilepsy. We have to lay low to prevent seizures. Some days I wish I could take it away from her for just the day.  I can't and the show must go on, so time to forget it and move on.
Seth can put the new infusion set in, get up throughout the night to check blood sugar levels and put up with the whining.  I need to get my beauty rest in preparation for a tired day for them tomorrow. ;)

No comments: