Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sam and Kindergarten

They are sending us notices and calling us on the phone about Sam possibly going to Kindergarten next year. His birthday is Sept 3 and the cut off is Oct 15. Seth signed a form in error saying that Sam will not be going next year because that was the original plan, but now we really don't know. When I got pregnant I knew we would hold him that year, but at the time we did not know he would have special needs. It all depends on what services he can get where. He is definitely not where he should be, but is doing so much better then where he started. He does not have any friends in his class and can't remember their names. At either school. I ask him and he says "I can't know?" So, now Seth has to call his caseworker and tell her that we are not sure.

In the meantime, someone from the Gorham School Dept is going to go observe him in the classroom. He does fine in the classroom,(he follows visual clues really well) but his speech delay in a room with other boys his age will definitely stand out. That and he is very immature and I don't know what his ability is to create friendships. I am scared that he would get teased too because he can't talk well. I guess one of the keys would be whether or not we could retain him if he went to K next year. I am not sure of the Gorham policy. The whole thing just makes me really nervous and I hope he improves by leaps and bounds even by then. He did last year so it is possible again.

No comments: