Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Last Day Of School

Was not what I expected.  I expected to have my bubbly girl get off the bus bursting with excitement because she was done with school for the summer.  "No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers dirty looks" does not apply to Kailyn.  She loves to draw, write, read and her 2nd grade teacher Mrs.Carlson.  She excitedly started to riffle through her book bag to show me all of her treasures that she brought home for the last day.  Her teacher gave her some presents, but one of the most treasured one was a card personally written to her with a message inside from her.  The teacher had her goal for reading books for the summer inside that card and she was supposed to keep it to remind her of her goal. She got someone else's by accident. It was a boy's card and she is clearly not a boy.  Tears immediately began to flow. I told her that I would call the school and try to reach Mrs. Carlson and everything would be OK.  I did finally reach Mrs. Carlson a few hours later after an hour of crying from Kailyn and she said that she would fix the problem. Kailyn would get her original card or a new one.  This seemed to satisfy Kailyn, but before she went to sleep she uttered. "I don't want to go to Village School" one last time.  We will be doing a lot of  visiting school before it officially opens this year.  Luckily its behind our house.
We did end the day with an end of the year play date blow out. Complete with a late night with the Warehams that included pizza.  Hopefully, when she wakes up late tomorrow, she will realize that school is out for the summer.  In the mean time, I have to check some blood sugars in a few hours because she has been running low quite a bit today. A lot of physical activity.

No comments: