Sunday, June 20, 2010

Technology from my perspective.

My kids think I lived in the "olden days".  When I was the same age I thought the same thing about my parents. My perspective now:  when they were growing up does not sound as out of whack as it did when I was little. In fact, when you think about it, the only difference between their generation and mine was the hair styles, music and political movements.  In the realm of technology we have advanced together.

I mean, they had TV, record players and radios. All of the modern conveniences have really happened majorly since I have grown up, become and been an adult.  Of course, if they were alive when the car and planes were invented we would be talking a different story, but they were not.  Here is a list of the changes that have happened since 1975.  There are many more, but I would be writing forever.

Music:
We still had records
8 track was on its way out and never got really big to begin with.
Then the cassette tape
Then the CD
and now the i-pods

Phones:
I grew up with a rotary phone
touch tone phone
cordless phone
big ass cell phones with no reception
smaller cell phones with no reception
cell phones with reception
and now the i-phones

Computers:
We had a typewriter with white out eraser for papers
Then a huge computer with a floppy disks that you
had to use a C/: prompt for
Computers without floppies as slow as molasses with drumroll......
Spell Check!!!
THEN the Internet came when I was in high school, but
at the end of it and almost impossible to log on with dial up.
I got my first e-mail account my Junior year of college
Then still slow computers with DSL or phone connection
Now fast computers with instant connection

Books:
Libraries or store for books
Books on Tape
Books on DVD
Now the Kindle for books, unless you are
not tech savvy enough or do not have enough money for such a luxury.

Movies:
Once a year they played "The Wizard of Oz" on TV and everyone in the US watched
Same with "Its a Wonderful Life" etc..
Then VHS to watch videos. It was huge that we got one and we were one of the first. Had to drive 20 minutes to get the movies.
Then the laser disks as big as records. They did not last long. Can't even remember the name.
Then DVDs
Now "blue ray"
 
Cooking:
I remember getting our first microwave and my Mom talking about cooking in it.(like from scratch)She never made meals in them after a few attempts. It did not taste the same and was the same amount of work.  Silly Mom, Microwaves are for reheating meals or for heating up microwave meals.


Digital:
Digital coffee makers
Digital alarm clocks
Digital Clocks in general.
I don't know how my in laws would function without their little digital alarms.


Television:
TV antennas
Remote controlled TV antennas
Cable TV.
Direct TV
Cable TV with thousands of channels
3 news networks -now there are 300 news networks
TV went off the air at night- I remember them playing the star spangled banner on Sunday nights before the TV went fuzzy "gasp" Now its 24 hour TV.

Diabetes:
Insulin shots
Novolog and Lantus
Then the Insulin Pump and hard to use Continuous Glucose Monitors.
I can't imagine what it was like to be Diabetic around the time I was born.

I could go on. But, you get the picture. I can't imagine what technology has in store for us in the next 20 years. I'm excited!!!! Yes kids, I did live in the "olden days", but we did have heat and electricity.

ps: I love living in the modern days though. I can only take so long without the net, tv etc...

2 comments:

Heather said...

Fun post! I almost forgot about the TV going off at night. Oh and Friday Night Music Videos! LOL!

Remember cell phones in a bag?

kristen said...

Isn't it funny how much things have changed in our lifetime? I think about it a lot and finally decided to write it down. I can't imagine what the discussion of not having the internet will be like with my kids. I DO remember the big bag cellphones. Those are the ones I was talking about. I think about Zach on "Saved by the Bell" carrying his around.LOL