Tuesday, June 8, 2010

We forgot to feed a kid!!! Just not any kid.

The one with Type 1 Diabetes.  Now, in our defense we had a hectic night and even a more hectic morning, but still.  I was up for a good portion of the night with the 7 month old.  Right before Seth left for work he woke me up and said he was leaving.  Kailyn and Sam were already dressed and K was even outside on the new play set. Anyway, I sat in the bed until the time turned exactly 8am because that is when the pediatricians office opens.  The kids were going to the Dentist at 10am and I had an appointment at 9:30am. Grammie had volunteered to take the kids to the Dentist so that I could go to the Doctor alone and I would meet up with her and take over.  I called right at 8am. The Doctors office wanted me to come in right away. So, I scrambled to get the baby and I a bit presentable and told the kids to head over to Grammie and Grandpa's house. I told Kailyn not to forget her Diabetes bag. I called on my way to the babies Doctor and canceled my doctor's appointment.  The baby had to get a catheter and her blood taken for the high fever and no outward signs of a cause besides a cold. (a whole other story)
After I went to the babies appointment I went and gathered the kids from the Dentist and off we went to bring Kailyn to school. While we were in the Dentist's office she had a low and we had to recheck on the way to school to make sure she was within range. She then declared she was hungry and I told her that she could have a cheese stick or try and wait another hour. She flipped out (hunger rage) and cried only saying right before we drove into the school that she had not eaten ANYTHING that day.  I informed the nurse upon dropping her off curbside and asked her if she could feed her.  I thought the whole "I'm hungry" thing was an attempt on both kids part to get fast food (which we do not do).
I still don't know if its true and could easily go and find out by asking her father and checking her pump, but I am enjoying the quiet that is called upstairs in my room with the door locked for a while. I am too lazy/tired (whatever you want to call it) to go down and find out.
Hoping for a less painful night for the baby so everyone gets fed in the morning.

1 comment:

kristen said...

HA!!!
Seth made her breakfast and Sam ate hers!!