Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First grade was a hit!!

Kailyn was extremely excited when she got off the bus today because she had a fabulous day. She went to Library, got to eat lunch at school, there was a lot of drawing, writing and she made two friends. (She could not remember their names however) LOL She was also thrilled that she got to see her Kindergarten teacher in the hall.
Mrs Kenny explained to the class about how Kailyn had Diabetes and if she was sick they should tell an adult for her. She also said that the nurse was going to read a special book to explain it better to the class. She tested herself and gave herself shots in the classroom all day. Every time she was tested the nurse would call and confirm that she was giving the correct dose, which was really reassuring. Her numbers were a bit high today, but not too high. Enough to make me relax because she had no hypoglycemic incidents at school. Kailyn keeps saying she feels dizzy and funny, but I think she is actually extremely overwhelmed and overtired. She did not fall asleep until 9:30pm last night and woke up at 6:30am. Her usual is 7:30pm-7:30am.
Mrs.Kenny called to see what Kailyn's perception of the day was like and I reported that she was thrilled.(Because she really was!!! :) ) The only hitch was she did not get enough recess time because she had to eat all her lunch (to cover the insulin) and then had to void on a stick to check for keytones because her levels were high. Kailyn and I decided she would get a smaller lunch tomorrow so that would not be an issue. Its strange getting used to her not eating as much. She eats half of what she was eating now.

SO, today was a nerve wracking day, but we got through it and I am thrilled with the care that she got at school!!

Here are pictures of her getting off the bus.





HI Momma!! I had a great day!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kailyn
Thomas and I are so glad that you had a great first day of school!!

~H said...

I'm so glad Kailyn had a great day! I've been keeping your whole family in my thoughts and prayers ever since Jean told me about her hospital stay.

Heidi