Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sam and Kailyn Went Camping


In the backyard. They were determined to spend the entire night out there. Kailyn has actually been dying to go camping this summer, but when I go camping again, I want to do it like I did when I was growing up. You know, the pop-up RV camper type with electric hookups on each site where there are showers and flushing toilets within short walking distance to your campsite.
Seth's kind of camping is outhouses, bring your own water in and no showers. I can tolerate it for 2 days max, never would be preferable. Of course, I did it when I first met Seth, but when we took Kailyn when she was 1 1/2 and she and I were both miserable we have never done it again.
On Friday I was putting the babies down for a nap. I heard noise downstairs, which meant the other two were up to something, but noise is better then none so I was not too concerned. As people say when it comes to kids. "Fear the silence". When I got downstairs I look out on the deck and see our tent. The kids had smirks on their faces. I let them know that we would set it up tomorrow and they eagerly got to packing. (also known as destroying their rooms and putting all the laundry I had finally gotten caught up on smashed into their bags)
The next day we got the tent set up and the kids got busy making their "campsite"
This is what their set up looked like:

They called the pool their pond/lake, they had a picnic table and made a campfire.




After Bath time, they went into the tent and read their usual books before bed and then it was time to get Kailyn her bedtime snack and insulin. Sam never made it back out to the tent. It was too scary and he was in his bed and asleep by 7:45.
Kailyn was still determined so after her snack out her and Seth went to hunker down for the night. The next thing I know Kailyn is upstairs crying because she wants ME to sleep in the tent. I told her that there were three good reasons that was not going to happen. 1. I don't like to sleep in tents 2. If I slept in the tent I would hurt my back and would not be able to take care of all the kids and 3. I would get a really bad nights sleep and be a really grumpy Mommy. She went back out again with Seth came back in a few minutes later and said it was too scary and wanted to sleep in her own bed. I assured her that I never would have slept in a tent when I was 6 and never did until I was 22. That made her feel better and she fell asleep shortly after that.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Yeah, few people have cajoled me into sleeping in a tent, but I've never enjoyed it. I would say my most positive tent experience was when Alice and I were on our cross-country road trip, and had air mattresses, cookware, and a DVD-playing laptop. I don't do well without restrooms or electricity.