Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hypoglycemia and Diabetes

Today was the first time Kailyn had Hypoglycemia and it upset me tremendously. We had great blood sugar levels yesterday so I thought we were starting to get a hang of things. She is supposed to be between 80-180 and her levels ran anywhere from 45-388.The high blood sugars with negative keytones (protein not in the urine) were fine with me, but the Hypoglycemia scares me to death. Her blood sugar levels were all over the place today and two times they were too low to my liking. We quickly got it up to the level that it should be, but now we have to be super vigilant to make sure that she does not pass out and need her glucogone (a fast acting shot of glucose, sort of like an epi-pen) or have a seizure. These are the really stinky parts of Diabetes that I am soooo not looking forward too. Hopefully she will start to recognize the signs too so that would be a help. I know I will get used to it and won't worry as much some day, but right now I am very anxious. We are still both mourning the fact that Kailyn has to deal with this and has a special need. Of course, she is doing great, back to herself and had a grand time with a lemonade stand and camp today.(She made over $2) We are the ones that are still a wreck ;) Seth and I will get up at 12am and 3am to make sure that her glucose levels are ok. Unfortunately, Seth now has a temp of 103 (probably getting what everyone else had over the weekend) so it may be me doing the early morning checks.

1 comment:

Nanie said...

Love you, Mom and Dad