Monday, August 18, 2008

We went and saw Kailyn's new teacher for this year

What a relief. I had put a call into the school a week ago and left a message with special ed (they draw up the 504's). I had not heard back so I decided to bring all the kids into the school today. I figured if they saw me in person they would figure out that it was important and I meant business. LOL We are always quite a sight so I am sure people were wondering what in the heck we were doing. ;) The school was full of boxes and people getting ready for the new school year.

Anyway, I told the secretaries what was going on and they got right on it. Called the school nurse because she was not there at the moment. They also assured me that the nurse would do wonderfully at taking care of Kailyn. Kailyn got to see her lasts year teacher (and we told her the news) and then we went to her new classroom and saw this years teacher. I had no expectation of seeing anyone but the secretary, but it was a huge bonus to get to see all these other people.
Mrs.Kenney seemed like a really nice person (easy to talk too) and was all smiles. She reminded me of Kailyn's K teacher and Kailyn thrived in that environment so that made me feel good. She did not know much about type 1 diabetes, but said she would google it when she got home and read up on it. I told her that the nurse would have to do all the blood testing and insulin injections, but she would have to watch for the hypoglycemia and may have to give a glucogone pen if she passed out or had a seizure. She said she would do whatever she had to do and it would be ok.
We left after we talked to everyone we needed too and as we did Kyleigh said bye to everyone. They got a kick out of that.

Not 10 minutes had gone by after I got home and I got a call from the school nurse who assured me that she had done this before and that we would come up with a detailed 504 plan. Kailyn will be the only one with type 1 diabetes in the school this year (out of around 350 kids), but they have had them in the past. Mom told me that she read on that net that 1 in every 800 kid has type 1 diabetes.
So, we are very happy now that we have gotten the ball rolling on her school plan. The meeting is set for August 25. We really want her to go and have a great first day of first grade. It sounds like the school is willing to do whatever it takes to make this happen. YAY! :)

2 comments:

Tattered Tulips said...

TIME, I am so glad everything went well Kristen!

Alice said...

Fantastic! I'm so glad everything will be in place in time for Kailyn to start 1st grade. -aunt alice