Friday, August 22, 2008

Kailyn is testing her own blood glucose levels

and giving herself her own shots. Yesterday I talked about it with her and she was all for pricking her finger to get the glucose levels, but did not think she was ready to give the shots. Well, she set up the monitor and did everything perfectly. Not any help from Seth or I. We read the glucose amount and determined the insulin amount. She then changed her mind and decided she wanted to give herself the shot. She stuck the needle into her leg and counted to five and boom her first time of giving her shot was done. She now wants to do it all the time by herself.

She has not had the opportunity to do it all on her own the past two days though because she has been hypoglycemic most of the day. I called the center yesterday and they gave me bad directions on my answering machine (did not even sound like the right kid) We could not stay home for the call because we had a Developmental Pediatrician appointment for Sam that we had to go to. Seth and I figured out how to keep her levels up overnight, but she was hypoglycemic for 2 hours straight this afternoon. Can you say hectic??? I finally called and left a message saying how disappointed I was that we got horrible directions and that I wanted a call back to get this mess cleared up. The nurse called back within minutes and went over everything with me and gave me much better directions. She apologized profusely for the mix up stating they were very busy yesterday.(I don't care how busy you are I still want the right medication levels for my kid) I told her next time I would just page the Doctor so she probably has a star on my folder warning the nurses I will be a pain in the ass if they are not careful. LOL
She said this was called the honeymoon period because the pancreas is happy about getting insulin so now it is producing very little(if any). As a result, we now have to decrease the amounts of insulin. So, hopefully we will get her levels back up to normal soon and have at least one normal day before her pancreas decides to change its mind again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im so glad things are going well...she is an amazing little girl. How does this all work once school starts? Do the teachers have to learn about her levels etc?
Im Susan your Moms friend...

kristen said...

Thank you!
We have a big meeting Monday to make out a detailed plan of how Kailyn will be taken care of at school. The nurse will take care of the readings and insulin levels and all the teachers that she will go to will have to learn the signs of hypoglycemia. We will know more after Monday though. Seth and I have to make a list of how we want her care handled at school this weekend.

Nanie said...

Kailyn has just amazed me at how well she has been handling everything. She is such a smart little girl!

Heather said...

awe what a BIG girl! she has handled this sooo well. (as have you!) and as time goes on i hope that this whole thing gets easier.

Tattered Tulips said...

WOW, she amazes me! I am so proud of her!