Saturday, August 23, 2008

Update on Sam


First of all he wrote his name all by himself today. S A M. Wholly freaking cow. I have tears in my eyes just writing this. A year ago I thought Sam would be living with us for the rest of his life and every day he makes us feel more and more confident that he IS going to be ok and lead a normal life. He may have his little quirks, but don't we all? Plus, he will be going to the developmental preschool all year to work on his weaknesses.

We went to a Biannual Developmental Pediatrician appointment on Thursday. Last time I left in tears because I had gone in excited to tell the Doctor about all the progress he had made (he has made even more since then) and Sam would not talk or even look at either doctor and made stacks of blocks the whole time. He looked Really autistic at that appointment and I am not even sure if she believed me that he had made the progress I was talking about.

This time I brought Seth and Kailyn with me. I knew he would talk to them and if he did not, at least I would have Seth to back me up with my ravings of progress. If she made me feel depressed then I would have Seth to lean on after the appointment.

Sam did wonderfully showing his skills. He was doing imaginary play with his sister and talked to the doctor a little using great eye contact . (remember last year at this time he could not talk) On the whole way to the appointment I kept telling Sam that he HAD to talk to the Doctor. LOL Overall she was impressed with the language and imaginary play development. He could talk now and was doing things other than just lining things up. He still lines things a lot, does a lot of gibberish, has trouble with transitions, sensory issues that come and go and we are not sure about how he will do with peers this year so she said that the plan we had in place for the upcoming year is what she is recommending. She did say at this rate he may lose the diagnosis, but we still need to monitor him closely and could not promise anything. Lets all cross our fingers that he continues to develop at the rapid rate that he has this year the same as he did the last. :) I am so proud of Sam and am thankful for all the early intervention that he has received!!

2 comments:

Nanie said...

I would do a cart wheel if I could still do them! LOL
I am so happy, excited, and proud of Sam!
Mom (Nanie)

Heather said...

yay sam! he's growing up and going to amaze you even more!